Thursday, January 13, 2011

An Inspirational Book

As a writer and blogger about Alzheimer’s and Dementia topics, I can say that part of my inspiration to take up writing came from first meeting, then reading the book written by Frances H. Kakugawa entitled, Mosaic Moon.  That was in November of 2007 during the course of  a presentation that Frances  made at a local Sacramento, California area care facility.

The book is a wonderful collection of poetry written by Frances and other caregivers, many of whom have had no formal training in the craft save for the strong pent up emotions of caregiving that needed a release or voice.  Frances empowered each of them with the basics of how to write poetry.

My copy of her book is chock full of colored sticky note tabs bookmarking each of my favorite poems.

And now Frances has just released another book entitled  Breaking the Silence: A Caregiver’s Voice through Willow Valley Press.

I was fortunate enough to run into a family friend who generously allowed me to borrow her brand new copy for a quick read.  I sat up late the night before last, then got up early the next morning to read and finish the new book.  If anything, as an experienced caregiver, I found plenty of verses and emotions to identify with while reading the powerful and touching poems that were penned by a wide variety of caregivers as well as those by Frances herself.  Thank You Judy for sharing a book from an author we mutually admire!

Writing, journaling, and poetry writing are wonderful vehicles to provide an outlet for  the release of anger, sorrow, frustration and joy. I have found it to be so during the course of crafting my blog essays on caregiving topics.

For those among my readers who are caregivers, take time out to track down a copy of either of these little jewels authored by Frances Kakugawa.  For those readers who are not active caregivers; I urge you to read these books as well.  You will gain insight into the world of a caregiver and what it is like to take a journey with another on the edge of their life.



Jeff Dodson
January 13th 2011

Your comments and opinions regarding this posting are most welcome and encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment