Monday, December 3, 2012

Our Belief In Angels


I will be posting a book review upon my blog site in the very near future that deals with the topics of  parapsychology, clairvoyance, spirits and angels. The book in question, from Hay House Publishing is entitled, Angels Whisper In My Ear, by Kyle Gray.

Way back in the early 1970’s while attending college, I became fascinated with the field of parapsychology, mediums, telekinesis, telepathy, etc. For a couple of years, I read up all that I could about subjects supernatural. Nothing about angels though. Then, my interests migrated elsewhere; to girls.

It is now some forty plus years later and here I have chosen Kyle Gray’s book to read and prepare a review on. What made me chose his book? Curiosity I suppose. That, plus I had never dealt with the topic of angels before. Since angels figure prominently in Mr. Gray’s line of work and his book, I thought I would look into the belief in angels further.

What it is about them that seem to be so attractive? How many people percentage wise in the United States believe in them? I was surprised by what I learned.

Angel is a word derived from the Greek word Angelos which means messenger. Among a substantial number of people as well as a diverse number of faiths of the world, angels are believed to act as emissaries or envoys who connect our material world with the spiritual realm. Some angels are said to be earthbound while the greater majority of them inhabit the spiritual plane as beings of light.

In 2006, an Associated Press-AOL poll was conducted that found that 81% of Americans believed in the existence of angels.

Time Magazine conducted their own poll of 1700 people in September 2008 on the topic of angels. One poll finding in particular was interesting. When faced with the statement, “I was protected from harm by a guardian angel,” 55% of the respondents answered affirmatively. That percentage held up regardless of denomination, region of the country or educational background.

Guardian angels, acting to protect folks from perils, harm and disaster, seems to be a popularly held  belief among many people in our society.

Last year, on December 23rd 2011, CBS News announced the results of of an Associated Press-GfK poll conducted between December 8th - 12th of 2011. The poll results revealed that 77% believed that such beings as angels are real. In this poll women were found more likely to believe they are real, and, those over the age of 30 are more apt than younger adults to think they exist.

So what can we glean from all of these polls?

It would appear that when it comes to the subject of angels, there is widespread acceptance in the belief in them. It also appears that a number of people have taken that belief even further by holding to the notion that they each may have their own guardian angel maintaining a lookout to protect them.  People want to believe in something greater than themselves in addition to their Creator, their Source.

Do I believe in angels? Yes. Call it an act of my own personal faith. And, I am one of those folks who definitely feels that he has been looked after, many times in his life, by what could only be described as his own guardian angel or two.

No, I cannot lay claim to ever having seen one either literally or in my minds eye....yet.

Who knows what the future might hold though?


Jeff Dodson
December 3rd 2012












No comments:

Post a Comment